Dan Veroff is a key asset to the firm’s successful insurance law practice, which has helped policyholders recover millions of dollars from some of the largest and most powerful insurance companies in the world. Earlier this year, the California Supreme Court referenced an amicus curiae brief co-authored by Dan and Kerr & Wagstaffe’s Ivo Labar on two occasions in the widely publicized decision in ACIC v. Jones, which upheld the California Insurance Commissioner’s broad consumer protection powers. Additionally, the Northern District of California recently certified a class action by Dan and the Kerr & Wagstaffe team against Hartford for uniformly underpaying actual cash value property claims in California. Dan also sits on the Board of Directors of United Policyholders, the only non-profit group dedicated to advancing policyholder rights in courts and legislatures across the country. Further, since 2016, consumer representatives to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) have relied upon Dan to provide sound advice on drafting model insurance laws.
Dan has particular expertise in property and disability insurance claims, but has handled cases in other areas including liability, life and health insurance.
In addition to insurance litigation, Dan practices in the areas of consumer class actions, free speech/defamation/first amendment, civil rights, and more.
- Obtained dispositive order in federal court dismissing insurer’s declaratory relief action, effectively overturning a denial of fire insurance benefits on an issue of first impression.
- Successfully litigating class actions against national property insurers arising out of uniform violations of California law.
- Obtained recovery for multiple disability policyholders who were wrongfully denied their benefits based on biased insurance company reviews.
- Helped obtain class certification against Apple and app developers in a lawsuit alleging that they uploaded iPhone users’ contacts data without consent.
- Helped obtain an emergency restraining order against the City of Chicago for infringing upon the First Amendment rights of the Southwest Airlines Pilot Association to post an advertisement critical of Southwest in Chicago Midway Airport.
In addition to the above, Dan sits on three committees of the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association (SFTLA) and two of Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC). He is also a past executive board member of the San Francisco chapter of the American Inns of Court. In addition, Dan serves as a consultant to National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) consumer representatives on health and disability insurance issues. He also regularly volunteers with the Bay Area Urban Debate League, which helps at-risk youth develop advocacy and public speaking skills.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D. 2013
Hastings Science and Technology Law Journal, Executive Editor
Hastings International and Comparative Law Review, Staff Editor
- University of San Francisco, B.A., Political Science, 2009
Rugby Team, Starting Forward
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers’ Association
Committee Member: Education, Public Education, New Lawyers’ Division
- Consumer Attorneys of California
Committee Member: Legislative (Diversity), Education (Diversity)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- American Inns of Court, San Francisco Chapter (The Lawyers’ Club)
- United Policyholders, Board of Directors
Speaking Engagements / CLE Presentations
- "The Perils and Pitfalls of Judicial Challenges," March 2017
- “Catch UP: Surplus Lines Carriers,” Webinar, January 2017
- “Preparing Auto, Property and Business Insurance Cases for Mediation and Trial,” Consumer Attorneys of California Annual Convention, November 2016
- "The Effects of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) on Litigation," February 2016
- "Corporate Privilege and Attorney Communication with Adverse Corporate Employees," May 2015
- "State Bar Repercussions for Misusing Client Trust Account Funds," March 2015
- "Material Misrepresentations in Insurance Applications," April 2013
- "Legal Ethics: Elimination of Bias in the Courtroom," April 2012
- "The 'Active Work' Requirement in Group Life Insurance Policies: Employers and Brokers Beware" Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Health and Disability & Life Insurance Law Committee - Winter 2017 Newsletter.
- "California Property Law: When is Depreciation Illegal, and When is a Loss Total Versus Partial?" Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Insurance Regulation Committee - Winter 2017 Newsletter. Co-authored with Ivo Labar.
- "CA High Court's Strong Ruling for Homeowners: Upholds CA Ins Commr. Power to 'Fill in the Gaps' in UIPA Law; Finds Against Insurance Industry," Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Insurance Regulation Committee - Spring 2017 Newsletter. Co-authored with Dan Wade.
Dan Veroff in Kerr & Wagstaffe Firm News