Dan’s practice is focused on plaintiff-side insurance coverage and bad faith litigation. He handles disaster, property, disability, life, liability and other types of insurance claims. He also handles broker and agent negligence and underinsurance suits. He prosecutes individual as well as class action claims. In addition to insurance, Dan practices in the areas of consumer law, first amendment, defamation and civil rights.
Dan has been designated as a Super Lawyer, Rising Star for his insurance practice. His work has been cited by the California Supreme Court. He has served as an advisor to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners on disability insurance laws. He is frequently published in local and national legal publications, and presents continuing legal education courses to local and national bar associations. Dan is also on the board of United Policyholders, a non-profit organization dedicated to insurance consumer rights, and on several bar association committees. He is a graduate of the University of California, Hastings College of the law, where he served as an editor on two law journals. He is also a graduate of the Consumer Attorneys of California leadership program.
A small sample of Dan’s representative matters include:
- Certified a class of California policyholders uniformly underpaid on property insurance claims;
- Established first impression law on surplus lines carriers’ duties to give notice of cancellation of fire policies and the impact of their failure to do so;
- Favorably settled cases for clients wrongfully denied disability and life insurance benefits;
- Certified a nationwide class of consumers whose privacy was invaded by the world’s leading mobile device maker and related mobile app developers;
- Obtained an emergency order restraining the City of Chicago from refusing to allow a pilot association’s advertisement critical of the leading airline based at one of its major airports.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D. 2013
Hastings Science and Technology Law Journal, Executive Editor
Hastings International and Comparative Law Review, Staff Editor
- University of San Francisco, B.A., Political Science, 2009
Rugby Team, Starting Forward
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers’ Association
Committee Member: Education, Public Education, New Lawyers’ Division
- Consumer Attorneys of California
Committee Member: Legislative (Diversity), Education (Diversity)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- American Inns of Court, San Francisco Chapter (The Lawyers’ Club)
- United Policyholders, Board of Directors
Speaking Engagements / CLE Presentations
- "Issues That Will Fill Your Inbox in 2018,” American Bar Association, Property Insurance Law Committee Annual Meeting, March 2018
- "The Perils and Pitfalls of Judicial Challenges," March 2017
- “Catch UP: Surplus Lines Carriers,” Webinar, January 2017
- “Preparing Auto, Property and Business Insurance Cases for Mediation and Trial,” Consumer Attorneys of California Annual Convention, November 2016
- "The Effects of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) on Litigation," February 2016
- "Corporate Privilege and Attorney Communication with Adverse Corporate Employees," May 2015
- "State Bar Repercussions for Misusing Client Trust Account Funds," March 2015
- "Material Misrepresentations in Insurance Applications," April 2013
- "Legal Ethics: Elimination of Bias in the Courtroom," April 2012
- "Natural Disasters Have Changed the Insurance Marketplace in California for the Worse; Legislative Action is Necessary" Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Excess, Surplus Lines and Reinsurance Committee - Winter 2018 Newsletter.
- "The 'Active Work' Requirement in Group Life Insurance Policies: Employers and Brokers Beware" Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Health and Disability & Life Insurance Law Committee - Winter 2017 Newsletter.
- "California Property Law: When is Depreciation Illegal, and When is a Loss Total Versus Partial?" Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Insurance Regulation Committee - Winter 2017 Newsletter. Co-authored with Ivo Labar.
- "CA High Court's Strong Ruling for Homeowners: Upholds CA Ins Commr. Power to 'Fill in the Gaps' in UIPA Law; Finds Against Insurance Industry," Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Insurance Regulation Committee - Spring 2017 Newsletter. Co-authored with Dan Wade.
Dan Veroff in Kerr & Wagstaffe Firm News