Kerr & Wagstaffe LLP is widely recognized for its sophisticated and cutting edge appellate practice in both state and federal courts across the country. We have represented a broad array of clients in both state and federal appeals, with astonishing success.
Our team of appellate attorneys delivers the detailed analysis and zealous oral advocacy needed to prevail in both federal and state appellate courts around the country. We apply our creativity, skill and experience at every step of the process to protect our clients’ rights on appeal, preserving trial court victories and challenging adverse decisions. We encourage collaborative efforts on appeal with trial counsel, and are open to flexible fee arrangements, including contingency fees.
We can help you at every stage of the appellate process:
- Preserving the Record for Appeal: The first step of winning on appeal is making sure you have a proper trial court record. We are frequently retained to provide advice to counsel during trial to protect and preserve rights and issues on a subsequent appeal.
- Post-Trial Briefing: Post-trial briefing is often essential to frame issues for appeal while giving the trial court the opportunity to address potential errors. As part of our appellate work, we are frequently asked to assist trial counsel in preparing and opposing requests for new trial, motions for JNOV, and applications for attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Appellate Briefing: The heart of the appellate process lies in the briefs. We recognize the importance of drafting a compelling brief that captures and holds the reader’s interest from start to finish.
- Appellate Motions and Writ Practice: Motions and writs at the appellate level present complex and unique challenges. We have substantial experience in bringing interlocutory writs and appellate motions to expedite review of critical legal issues and seek early dispositions of otherwise lengthy appeals.
- Amicus Briefs: Friend-of-the-court briefs provide people other than the parties with the opportunity to influence the outcome of decisions in critical cases. We provide amicus representation to a variety of organizations, including pro bono representation of non-profit and public advocacy groups.
Kerr & Wagstaffe attorneys have represented parties or amici in connection with the following decisions available on Westlaw: